NEX v1.0 is a plugin for Maya that brings a new level of efficiency to the modeling process. NEX is all about increasing integration and interactivity.
Switching between tools takes extra time, and generally takes the artist out of their flow. The idea behind NEX is to keep tool switching to an absolute minimum. Functions that are commonly used together, such as pick selection, marquee selection, Loop/Ring selection, translation along normals, soft modifications, raycast selection, Extrude, Bevel, and even sliding can all be done within one tool.
Guesswork leads only to mistakes and frustration, so the concept of previewing is used liberally throughout NEX. Just about all of its features allow you to see what will happen before you actually make it happen.
We've found that really focusing on these two categories can result in a much, much speedier workflow.
I could go on, but I think a visual approach works best:
Partial Feature List:
* Preselection Highlighting Components highlight as you hover your cursor over them, so you'll know exactly what you'll be selecting before you click. The highlights also find the closest component to your cursor so that you don't have to be meticulous about creating component selections. Highlighting is integrated throughout the entire NEX toolset, including the interactive Extrude, Bevel, Target Weld, Tweak, Transform, Pivot Adjustment, Soft Selections, and Quad Draw.
* Fully Integrated Ring / Loop selection Quickly select a full or partial loop/ring of any component type (vertex, edge, or face) within any mode (select, move, rotate, or scale) simply by double-clicking. Watch the first video to see this feature in action.
* Other selection features Raycast Selection, Component Selection Preservation, Select Similar, and a fully integrated Soft Selection tool are just a few of the other selection features.
* Slide Components Slide any component type (edge, vertex, face) along the surface of your mesh with any transform tool (move, rotate, or scale). Slide is integrated within NEX as a coordinate space but you can also use the quick Shift + Middle-click-drag hotkey to slide along the active axis. On high resolution meshes, combine the NEX Soft Selection option with Slide for even greater power.
* Custom Coordinate Space Move, Rotate, and Scale your components along any direction or position. Want to move faces along another face normal? Within the NEX Custom Pivot mode, hold Ctrl+Click to define your Custom Coordinate Space.
* Interactive and Integrated Vertex, Edge, and Face Extrusion and Edge Bevel
* Vertex Locking Lock vertices from being transformed. This is especially useful when dealing with symmetry, where the center row of verts should stay put.
* Quad Draw Creating polygons has never been more fun. With Quad Draw you can create, delete, split, and connect faces together. Create your polygon surface on the grid or import a reference mesh and rebuild its topology to make an animation ready mesh in minutes.
* Tweak Within any transform tool, you can quickly tweak components along any axis.
* Integrated completely within Maya Very versatile options dialog -- change every default option and behavior of NEX.
* Other Misc features Safe Frame, Automatic Texture updates, fully customized Tab Key, Caps Lock Heads up Display element, Dynamically movable Marquee, Target Weld, Interactive Object Duplication, Custom Hotbox Marking Menu, plus many, many more...
For more information and to download NEX, click here: